Friday, December 08, 2006

Skater girl ??

The following conversation took place earlier this week between my 10 year old daughter and I:

K : “Mom, I no longer wants to be a girly girl . I want to be a punk.. you know mom, like a skater girl”.

Me: “So what does that mean?” “does that mean that you want a skate board for Christmas?”

K : “No mom, I just want to look like a skater girl.” Like Avril Lavigne

Me:“How about you just be you.. instead of a stereo type”

K : “Nope mom, I have made a decision to be a punk”

So all this week my we will be doing something random like eating dinner or watching some T.V and my daughter will announce “ I am SUCH a punk!!”

What is happening here ?

Was I ten years old when I started the I want to “fit” in somewhere so I am going to change who I am ?

When do we realize that it is not important to “fit” into a stereo type any more? I know a lot of grown people who are still trying to “fit” in.

I do not want my children to grow up into adults that are still trying to “fit” in.

I feel that it is important for children to have the freedom of expression as they are growing up into adults. I feel that if you deprive children of this they will have a harder time as an adult due to the fact that they have been repressed as children.

I guess we will see how long this “skater/punk” phase lasts ..

I am not what I have, I am not what I wear, I am me .. that is all there is to it ..


4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger mist1 said...

Now I want to be a skate punk again.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger furiousBall said...

good for you. afterall if you don't let your kids dress silly, you won't have fun looking in the photo album. there is a vhs tape of me break dancing on cardboard in my backyard wearing jams and a chinese character shirt AND headband. i was like electric shrimp bugaloser.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger WanderingGirl said...

I learned when I was 29. I guess I'm what they call a late bloomer.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you let her be cool like her friends now, she'll grow up to be cool like you later. Because you're independent, and you'll be letting her act independent. You're smart, and you'll have fun with it.

 

Post a Comment



ABOUT ME
Photobucket
MJ

I am me .. that is all there is to it.

I am Fun, Pushy, Unpredictable, Vain, Confident, Expressive, Patronizing, Pompous, Bossy, Courageous, Romantic, Dramatic, Loyal, Determined, Lofty, Stubborn and Exhausted!!

Read at your own risk and Love it!

MJ


BLOGROLL Miss Doxie
Jurgen Nation
The Art of Time Suckage
The Morning Meeting
Certifiable Princess
Chollyson
Amalah
Animal Mind
Much a do about sumthin
Alan thinks
Tiny Voices in my head
My reflecting pool
Weapon of mass instruction

MJ ARCHIVES

MJ

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from adayinthewind. Make your own badge here.


hit counter script